Welcome to the altPenis Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic and play nice.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
All posts by new members are moderated to reduce spam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31648 - 03/10/11 04:46 AM 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest
George Offline

old hand

According to the results of a recently released study from the Center for Disease Control, virginity rates are skyrocketing. Nearly a third of people under the age of twenty-four say they've had no sexual contact, a percentage that's much higher in 2010 than it was in 2002.
(http://www.nerve.com/news/love-sex/30-of...rate-in-decades)

This seems really unlikely to me although maybe true for the US?

#31649 - 03/10/11 09:29 AM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: George]
myrealname Offline
old hand

Loc: Indiana
I am not particularly surprised. At my age I am hardly aware of what young people get up to these days, but I know what young people got up to in the 1960s and 1970s. I have always been skeptical about the commonly-held notion that young folks are more promiscuous now than ever before.

I think there was considerably more screwing going on back then in fact. That was before HIV was known and oral contraceptive agents were relatively newly arrived on the scene and a high percentage of young women were using them. There was a huge divide between the generations in the US then, fueled by differences of opinion over the Vietnam conflict. The "sexual revolution" was in full swing and one of the ways in which young people choose to defy their parents values was to get laid as often as possible, with as many different partners as possible.

Of course, this didn't apply to all young people. I was probably extremely conservative, sexually-speaking, compared to the norm. But I know it was not all that uncommon to encounter women in their early 20s who had already had sex with 50 or more partners (that they would admit to).

One thing that I think is more widely accepted now is anal intercourse. I may have simply led a sheltered life, but I really doubt that a third of women, and nearly 40% of men had engaged in anal sex with a member of the opposite sex back then. Even some of those who were sexually quite promiscuous considered heterosexual anal intercourse a bit outre back then.

#31656 - 03/10/11 11:37 PM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: myrealname]
gamer_reg Offline
enthusiast

That's encouraging news! These things trend to act like a swinging pendulum though. From one extreme to the other.

30 years down the road it will have swung back to young promiscuity again I am sure.

#31669 - 03/14/11 05:18 PM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: gamer_reg]
cumbriankid Offline
veteran

Loc: U.K
never trust a sex survey. Who takes part in them? I dont!! I doubt you do either!

Do you remember ever hearing anyone say that they were Virgins unless they were part of a religious group? Its a case of stats effected by very vocal social groups!

#31670 - 03/14/11 06:56 PM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: cumbriankid]
Firefly Offline
Esteemed Member

Loc: United States
My friend once told me that his grandma said people fooled around just as much when she was a kid as they did now. (that was in the '08's that she said that)

My great-grandma-- a very amazing (you would think so too if you heard her story..) and christian woman-- got pregnant twice... before marriage. (she lost her first husband- my great-grandpa in a freakish accident). This during a time when people supposedly didn't do that!

So yeah- I agree with cumbriankid. Not so sure about the sex survey. Though I do think you can get a little bit of an idea about whats going on.

#31679 - 03/15/11 04:44 AM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: Firefly]
George Offline

old hand

I reckon you could pretty well just make up those surveys!

#32596 - 06/25/11 04:56 PM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: George]
curious male Offline
enthusiast

Loc: usa west coast
I was close to that age when I first had sex.
I think I was 22 or 23.
I was really shy.

#32599 - 06/25/11 06:22 PM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: Firefly]
granny_granola Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Firefly
My friend once told me that his grandma said people fooled around just as much when she was a kid as they did now. (that was in the '08's that she said that)

*nod, nod, nod*

I can't say how my generation compares to today's young people, but we had plenty of fun, believe me. I lost my virginity on a moonlit beach one warm summer night in 1966, with a boy who read poetry to me. It was very romantic, and I quickly realized this was something I liked a lot smile

Things were different back then, though. Sexuality wasn't so ... I don't know ... matter-of-fact, if you see what I mean. Boys didn't take it for granted that you would go to bed with them, which my granddaughter tells me is the norm now. I think there was more anticipation, which itself can be fun smile

Well, anyway, I don't know if things are better now or what, but I just wanted to make the point that we definitely weren't so innocent back then.

#32604 - 06/27/11 07:46 PM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: granny_granola]
Firefly Offline
Esteemed Member

Loc: United States
>>>> "My friend once told me that his grandma said people fooled around just as much when she was a kid as they did now. (that was in the '08's that she said that)."<<<<<<<

Lol. I meant to say "that was in the '80's that she said that." haha.

#32610 - 06/28/11 12:07 AM Re: 30% of people under 24 have never had sex, highest [Re: Firefly]
granny_granola Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Firefly
>>>> "My friend once told me that his grandma said people fooled around just as much when she was a kid as they did now. (that was in the '08's that she said that)."<<<<<<<

Lol. I meant to say "that was in the '80's that she said that." haha.

Or maybe she was in her 80's when she said that smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

The Question Of Size | Pecker Predicaments | Enlargement | Erectile Issues
Circumcision | Penis Peculiarities | Culture & History | The Male Condition
altPenis Home Page | Discussion Forums | Terms of Use

Copyright 2000 - 2012 altPenis.com and its licensors. All rights reserved.